Located in Savannah's historic district on
Columbia Square, this example of Federal
architecture was completed in 1820 by a
master builder from Rhode Island.
Isaiah Davenport came to Savannah in 1807
to participate in the building boom that followed
the disastrous fire of 1796.
Davenport prospered as a builder and took an
active part in Savannah politics by serving on
the city council.
Isaiah Davenport died during the yellow fever
epidemic in 1827 at the age of 43.
The restoration of the Davenport house grew
into the Historic Savannah Foundation, which is
responsable for the restoration of much of Savannah.